Monday, September 21, 2009

Judgement Calls

I've been thinking about the judgements that are passed in life.

I pass judgements way too much, I will admit that first and foremost. It's something I've been working on and praying about.

What I've been thinking about is why do people pass judgements. Is it because they feel superior or because they want to feel superior? Is it to be "cool" or fit in? I don't know. Since I've been spending time thinking about this I've been looking at the times I make judgements and I think I make them when I'm feeling defensive. If I feel like I'm (my person, my family, my way of life) being attacked or wrongly persecuted I'm more apt to make a negative judgement about the person/entity making the judgement.

I've also noticed that I make more judgements about my family and people close to me than I do about others. Writing that makes me feel horrible. Do other people do that? Why do I think it is ok to be cruel, which is what it is, to my family, to people that I love and to be accepting of the faults of my friends and perfect strangers? If anything I would think it would be the opposite. Questions I've been asking myself: Do I take my family for granted? Do I think they will always be there no matter what? Is it ok to be hurtful when I've been hurt? How do I let go of the things in my life that make me pass judgements. I'm going to try to make it a week where I let go and stop making judgements.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I think I judge when I feel defensive too(have you READ my blog today? LoL!)More than anything, I think that learning to be forgiving helps in this area. It's hard to feel ill towards someone if you have truly forgiven them. I try not to hold grudges as I find that the people who tend to hold grudges are also very critical of others and also very unhappy people. It's hard though sometimes isn't it!?! Yeah, always easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right April. When you truly forgive someone it is easy to let go. You are so right about holding grudges...going to have to work on that area in my life too. I'm a work in progress and really need to work on not being judgemental, particularly of family, forgiving those who have hurt me, and then just letting it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone struggles with this, I hope I'm not the only one. I have resolved time and time again to work on this and having too much drama, things that bother me about other people when I am guilty of plenty of things as well. Hope you are having a good week. What a beautiful wedding picture in the corner! You look amazing and what a pretty veil!

    ReplyDelete