The morning Daddy P went back to work G, K & I all woke up with a fever. The girls were listless and sleepy and I had a horrible sore throat, headache, etc. Bro was fine (at that minute) Grampy & I took the kids in to the ped (of course Dr. Mommy Love wasn't there that day so we saw a different, not so Mommy Love Dr....and got a dx of nothing.
Friday, 5/20, Bro woke up with a temp. It was "only" 100, but in a 6 week old, 100 isn't good. Back to the ped we went. Instead of seeing Dr. Mommy Love (who I thought we were seeing) we saw Nurse Practitioner Mommy HATES, LOATHES & DESPISES. It was not a good visit, and we were sent home around 3pm with instructions to give antibiotics, Tylenol. I, who at this point was close to tears, called Dr. Mommy Love (4pm), and we agreed to wait to start the antibiotics. Daddy P got back from his first 3 days of work at 5:30pm, and by 7pm we knew Bro was not ok. He was listless, moaning in his sleep and not eating. After a quick call to Dr. Mommy Love (one of the many reasons I LOVE her is bc I can call her at home), she admitted us to the hospital. We went straight to the peds floor and were put right into a room.
The next hours were awful. Bro was very dehydrated, and it took way too many tries to get an IV in. Finally someone from the NICU got it, but it was after my sweet boy had been poked and poked and poked some more. I couldn't take it and finally had to leave the procedure room. (he also had a lot more things done at the same time) When Daddy P brought him back there were even tears in his eyes :(
Daddy P left the hospital around 12 to go to our sweet girls, both sick, at Grammy & Grampy's. At 1am I was told Bro needed a spinal tap. At 2 am he had it...I couldn't go with him, but he was back in my arms by 2:45. I was up and at 4am got a call from Daddy P saying K's temp was 103.7 in her armpit. Grammy & Grampy gave her a bath & Tylenol while Daddy P went home to get our thermometer.
It was a long, emotionally & physically exhausting weekend. Bro was discharged from the hospital on Sunday and Daddy P went back to work on Monday.
Bro was still very sleepy and not acting like himself when he got home, but he was on antibiotics and we didn't expect him to go back to 100% right away. Flash forward to Wednesday...just 1 week from when Daddy P first went back to work. Bro had gone in for a chest x-ray in the am (a little cloudy, but ok), but was very, very sleepy and not having a lot of wet diapers. I was checking in with Dr. Mommy Love, and around 12;45pm we spoke. At 3pm I noticed Bro's soft spot looked a bit swollen. I tried not to panic, with very little success, and called a good friend who's husband is an ER Doc. While on the phone with her I broke down and cried and cried. I just knew he was not ok. His soft spot was bulging out and getting bigger and bigger.
Dr. Mommy Love was out of the office, so we saw another Ped, Dr. Softspoken. I like him almost as well as Dr. Mommy Love. He sent us back to the hospital, this time to the PICU.
***Will be back later to continue....









No comments:
Post a Comment