Thursday, July 21, 2011

Friends

I've been thinking about friends & friendships lately.  I've been blessed with super best friends throughout my life.

My first BFF was a girl named Kelly.  We were babies together, our Mother's were friends (probably in the same way I'm friends with my 2 bff's now) and went to preschool, and grades 1-3 together.  We don't keep in touch, but I saw here about 10 years ago while I was living in NYC and we were very similar.  We even ordered the same thing at a restaurant! 

My second BFF was a girl named Heather.  I met her just after moving to a new city, right before going into the 6th grade.  We were quick friends and stayed close through my junior high years.  I moved away after 9th grade, but we still remained close through high school & college.  We didn't see each other for years on end, and often didn't speak for months at a time--not because of fights, just because of life, but when we did talk, it was like old times.  I've seen her 2x in the past several years and we're still close and can still talk.  Now we keep up through facebook, which is great!

I didn't have a close friend in high school.  No one that I look back on and think, oh yes, she was my BFF.  I lived in a small, small, town.  One that wasn't open or accepting of newcomers and I was a newcomer.  I didn't grow up with the "in" girls, and these same girls, the "nice" ones, already had BFF's, and ones that they had gone to preschool with.  I don't feel slighted or sad now though :)  The time I lived there was a very short time period.

In college my roommate Serena and I were very close, then not, then very close.  We had a close relationship, and would get aggravated with one another from time to time.  I regret all the silly little things that caused us agnst back then, but am happy that we are able to keep in touch now, again via facebook.  I also met one of my best besties in college too.  Mary and I were inseparable during my last 2 college years and beyond.  I still keep in touch with her, though, kids & distance have made it difficult for me to stay in close contact with her.

Now I have 2 friends that I consider my BFF's.  These are friends of a different sort, friends I met through our children, "Mommy" friends, but friends that seem more important to me than any others.  These aren't friends that I'm telling who my current crush is, these are friends who I would and have trusted my children with.  Friends who have left their children at home with their husbands and taken care of mine with no notice at all.  Friends who have rushed to be with me, for HOURS, when Bro was hospitalized.  Friends who I can call and confide in.  About anything.  And everything.  Friends who I can cry to, laugh with, and most importantly understand what I'm going through.  These 2 friends are amazing and I hope will be in my life for a very long time!  My Mom and her BFF from when I was a little girl still stay in touch, only from time to time, but still in touch, and I can only hope my 2 current BFF's and I will be the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment