Dear Mamie,
A little over week ago I sat in your room, holding your
hand, combing your hair, putting on your lipstick and making sure you looked
“sharp”, as there were a parade of visitors coming to say Good Bye to you.
I slept in your bed, snuggled up close to you, as I promised
I would, sang “On Eagle’s Wings” and “Be Not Afraid” to you.
Helped the CNA’s wash you and care for your
mouth.
One week ago today, I calmed you when you woke, panic
stricken and full of anxiety.
I touched your arm as you took your last breaths.
I washed your hands, face and mouth after you died.
I combed your hair after you died.
I sat and held your hand, still warm, until the man from the
funeral parlor came, and then I helped move your body to the stretcher, gave
you one last kiss while your face was soft and not too cold, covered your body
with blankets and pushed your body out to the hearse.
I wrote out a Eulogy for you, some while we were on the
plane.
Mamie,
As I sit here on the plane, racing up to see you, to give
you one last hug so many memories are flooding my mind.
I remember standing at your old sink, “helping” you wash
dishes, going to the beach, Look Park, Bart’s, and most of all just being
together at Vernon St.
The time you were in the kitchen, looked up and saw Drew
above you, kneeling on all fours on the sky light, waving in at you!
More recent memories include the times you met each of my
children, especially K, and the time we were leaving to head back home and G
looked back at you expectantly, saying, “Come on Mamie”.
In past weeks our conversations had been harder, with more
silence on your end, and during one call when I asked you if you were there, you
had a moment of clarity, saying “phone conversations were hard now, but we were
both trying so desperately to stay in touch.
Another time, just a few weeks ago, during a period of more silence, I
jokingly asked you if you thought I should have another baby. You let out a guttural “NO”, so I knew you
were still there (inside and out).
Mamie, to even try to list out the many things I loved about you would seem insignificant.
Thank you for your love, the gift of your faith, for teaching me that sometimes it is ok to break the rules, and for being the very best Grandmother.
In December 2004, Annie hosted a family reunion, and during
it each of your Grandchildren wrote a snippet to you. I will close with each inscription:
(Grammatical Errors Included)
Sheila: Dear Mamie,
You are so important to us! I love
you! (heart) Sheila
Annie: Dear Grandma,
You are the best grandma evea! (drawn
out picture of eye, heart, u) Annie Louise
Tom: Dear Mamie I
love you. Tom
Nate: Thanks for all the
good times Nate
Kenneth W. Laughton
Dear Mary, You’re one of the best impacts that I’ve had on
my life. Thank you for everything Love,
Andrew.
Bong, Bong, Bong, I
Love You!









Shiela, you have a treasured memory of being able to attend your grandmother as she crossed over.The art & gift of caring for loved ones in final hours and after has been lost.I am glad you had the opportunity to do this for your Mamie(thats what I called my maternal grandma too).I know it was a blessing to your mom for to be there to do this.Towers was such a help with my mom.I still thank God for her stepping in.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this beautiful story.It speaks volumes of your faith & your family.
May grief be gentle.