One of my internet Mom friends posted this on her blog so to help her out I decide to repost her post and a link to her blog. Click the link below to go to her blog:
Anatomy of a SuperMom part 1
OK, so every year for the past who-knows-how-many years, I have totally copped out of doing New Years Resolutions. I guess I jumped on the " no-one ever actually sticks to them so why bother" bandwagon and just rode it, I rode that sucker into the ground. I believe it's time for me to get up and walk on my own two feet this New Year and actually attempt to make and stick to a resolution.
Its just one, how hard can it be right? Well the ONE that I have picked is kinda all encompassing...
Lets start at the very beginning ( its a very good place to start...♫) So, many of you know that I was an Au Pair and then a Nanny for several years. I would ALWAYS say I was doing it to practice for when I had my own kids, I have wanted to be a Mommy since I was waaay tooo young and so it was the perfect avenue for me. I loved being a Nanny. I learned so much from all those kids and their parents , I learned a lot of what I wanted to be like as a parent and plenty of what I did NOT want to be like too.
When I was pregnant everybody would say to me " Oh you are going to be such a good Mommy with all this experience..." and my reply was always " Aw shucks Thank you, but I think the lesson I have learned the most is that no matter how much I think I know... its going to be way waaay harder than I imagine. " and you know what? I was RIGHT!
Fast Forward 17 months after I officially graduated from Pregnant Nanny to Stay at Home Mommy:
Oh Em Geeeeee!!!! Its so difficult/ exhausting etc etc etc - I don't need to tell you, you know. Absolutely its also without doubt the MOST AMAZING/ REWARDING etc etc etc job in the universe. I do not forget that , not for a single second. My child is the reason I was put on this planet, he is the epitome of LOVE. But thats not what this particular post is about.
What I am saying is, after 17 months I have still not found my groove with this whole Mommy thing. I KNOW I can be more, and its not just the "Mommy" part its the Wife and Homemaker part too, others do it - I know its not easy , but nor is my current state of "just getting by" and I know we all have good days and bad days and behind the scenes in every house is some kind of drama. I am not delusional .
I just feel I am capable of more but I didn't get a degree in this ( Nanny School didn't cover it all) no-one does without experience and so ( finally - my point) I am going to attempt to tap into my network of Mommies across the globe - THATS YOU! - and learn some tricks, tips and been-there-done-that information and put it to good use for myself. Then I am going to take said DATA and share it back with you all *hopefully* on the form of a graph or 2 and some other nifty ways to emphasize what is important , what's NOT and what you may wanna try to make your life a bit easier in 2010 and beyond.
Yup, my New Years Resolution is : Learn some SuperMom skills before I even think about having another child!
So would you , my fellow Mama's o' the internet please take 5 mins and answer these questions. You can be as basic or as long winded as your SuperMom Schedule will allow.
Copy and Paste them to an email ( or send a blank email and I will send u the form. If you do copy and paste remember this is in WHITE so you will have to change the color or it will appear invisible in your email ), add your honest answers and send them to:
supermominfo at yahoo dot com
and then send someone else here, someone you feel has SuperMom powers we could all learn from and have them share the love.
( all information will be used anonymously - you don't even have to put any names or details in the email)
Your Questions M'dears: (((My, Mommy P's, answers are in grey below each question)))
1. How many Children do you have? ( list their ages)
G, 20 Months & K, 4 Months
2. How old are you ?
31
3. Are you a working Mom or a SAHM?
SAHM, who also babysits each afternoon (M-F), lifeguards 3 hours per week, and works in the church nursery every other Sunday.
4. Approximately how many hours of sleep do you get a night?
6-7 on a good night, less if the kids or I have trouble sleeping
5. Do you go to bed right after the kids?
No--I like to have some down time before I go to sleep.
6. Do you cook 4+ times a week?
No--but I do cook 3+ times a week. I make 2 casseroles per week and supplement with spaghetti & frozen pizza.
7. When do you do your Grocery Shopping? once a week? with/without kids? monthly? as needed?
1x per week, preferably without kids.
8. Do you exercise regularly? - if yes, give basic details
No. I need to, but never have the time/motivation.
9. Do you have regular "me time"? If yes, when/ how often and what do you do?
Only after the kids are in bed. Play on the computer. Occasionally I'll take a bath (sans kiddos) and relax for 10 or so minutes.
10. What is one ( or more) Mom thing you feel you do really well- your Mom Forté if you will... don't be shy.
I try to be very sensitive to my kids needs. I don't push them to do or try things they are not ready for, if they want to be held I hold them, even if it is while I'm making dinner, on the computer or trying to get something done. If G wakes up crying we let her come into our bed. Daddy P and I are both very attached to our girls and practice a lot of attached parenting principals. I haven't weaned G, and don't plan on doing it until she is ready and am still nursing K, of course :) The stories of the families (Reese & Maddie) that I have on my blog also remind me daily to appreciate my girls in everything I do. Too many Mother's have children that have gone on to Heaven and must endure empty arms on earth.
11. What is one( or more) Mom thing you feel you would like to improve on?
My appearance--I wear sweats & other "comfy" type clothes most of time. It's rare that I put on makeup or really take time to look nice. Also my frustration level. I feel incredibly guilty when I snap at my 20 month old :(
12. Do you have a group of other Moms in your area that you talk to/ get advice from/ have playdates with?
Yes, Thank God! I've actually been wanting to write a post on this subject myself. I've got my awesome BabyCenter/IVillage girls who have been with me from the beginning, 2 close friends I met in Kindermusic, 2 other close friends that I go to church with, and my MOPS friends. I love that I always have someone to turn to for advice, to complain/cry to and/or to laugh with!
13. Do you have "date night"? Paid Babysitter/Relative/Friend? How often?
LOL, once a year--on our anniversary!
14. What is your WORST
a) Poop
b) Snot
c) Bedtimes
d) 5pm witching hour - making dinner meltdowns
e) Teeth Brushing
f) Other... please elaborate!
Bedtime--both the girls want Mommy most of the time and it makes it difficult. G fights sleep most nights too. Daddy P tries for 30 minutes and most of the time gets her down but after 30 minutes I take over.
15. Tips and Tricks or anything extra you'd like to share:
Will have to come back and edit later....must go make dinner!!!
THANK YOU!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









First- thank you so much for the honor of appearing on your blog, I appreciate your input greatly as a mommy of two and tandem nursing. You inspire me.
ReplyDeleteSecond- your blog is stunning. I will be back to read / catch up soon but I already cried just browsing the last few posts.
Heart you , dear friend!!
went to the blog and posted mine! Kinda fun!
ReplyDelete